What is ESSER funding?
In 2020 and 2021, Congress passed three Covid-related stimulus bills that provided nearly $190.5 billion to the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund. ESSER includes a significant focus on vulnerable student populations who have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic, which includes English language learners.
Frequently asked questions about ESSER Funds
What can I buy with ESSER Funds?
- Classroom reading libraries & collections to support literacy gains
- Books to support community engagement through All School Reads
- Replace lost or damaged books
- Remote learning materials like ebooks
- Accelerated learning recovery programs and supporting instructional materials
- Implement summer learning and afterschool programs using high interest books
- Instructional materials to support student character development and mental health
When do I need to use ESSER Funds?
- CARES Act – ESSER I Funds: Obligate by Sept. 30, 2022
- CRRSA Act – ESSER II Funds: Obligate by Sept. 30, 2023
- ARP Act – ESSER III Funds: Obligate by Sept. 30, 2024
How is my state prioritizing relief funding?
- ARP ESSER State Plan Analysis – Look up your state specific information on how these funds are being used for reading, literacy, and English Language Learners (ELL), including:
-Where literacy/reading/ELL support is mentioned among top state priorities
-Highest academic priorities for ELL
-Literacy/reading/ELL initiatives to address academic impact of lost instructional time
-Plans for literacy/reading/ELL support through extended day instruction
-Additional mentions of literacy or ELL initiatives
- State Department of Education Plans for Literacy and English Language Learners (ELL) Analysis – Look up how your state is targeting these programs and helpful language to guide funding requests in the following areas:
-State reading initiatives
-Additional literacy/reading support
-Links to ELL state plans and brief description of focus
Contact your PRH Education Account Manager to learn more about creating a transformative reading culture and reaching your school/district objectives.