Phonic Books is changing the way educators teach reading, one sound at a time. Developed by literacy experts and aligned to the Science of Reading, Phonic Books’ high-interest decodable book series can be effectively integrated into any phonics instruction program. Phonic Books offers a wide range of decodable books, making reading exciting for kids of all ages and interests. With multiple series that build and expand on learned letter-sound knowledge, Phonic Books paves a structured scaffold to more complex texts and unlocks the joy of reading independently.
A Brief Overview of Phonics
To become a reader, learners first need to acquire the skills of putting together individual sounds to make a word. This process is called “blending.” Sounding out the graphemes (spellings) and “blending” the sounds into words is called “decoding.”
Through highly structured and engaging texts, Phonic Books introduces only a few sounds and letters at a time. Readers practice each letter-sound correspondence until they learn how to reliably “decode” entire words. With book series that follow a steady, cumulative progression, Phonic Books supports students in advancing naturally, whether they are just starting out or need further assistance in learning how to read.
Dandelion Launchers and Readers offer beginner readers ages 3–8 a gentle, gradual approach to the alphabet and vowel teams.
- Suitable for younger readers ages 3–5
- Decodable books at the CVC word level
- 1 line of text per page
- Stages 1–7 introduce sounds of the alphabet
- Stages 8–15 introduce adjacent consonants and consonant digraphs
- Stages 16–20 introduce two-syllable word suffixes
- Include games to support learning
- Suitable for beginner readers ages 4–8
- Introduce vowel digraphs and VCe spellings
- More text per page than Dandelion Launchers
Catch-Up Readers support older readers ages 8–14+ who need to bridge gaps in phonics skills through exciting, action-packed adventures.
- Multiple series target different reading levels and experiences
- Age-appropriate illustrations and storylines engage older readers
- Supporting students at various reading levels, from the alphabet at the CVC level to complex vowel and consonant sounds
- Introductory-reader-friendly layout
Phonic Books workbooks accompany the Dandelion and Catch-Up series to further develop reading fluency, comprehension, spelling, writing, and vocabulary. Paired with the book series, workbooks support phonics programs by providing teaching and practice activities. Permissions allow for photocopies of all workbook pages.
Whether a child is just starting out on their reading journey or needs a boost to reach the next level, Phonic Books are an invaluable educational resource. Phonic Books book series are designed to help kids build confidence in their foundational language skills, as well as develop a love for reading. Browse the full range of books, and keep an eye out for more coming soon!